A really common question I encounter in working with my personal training clients and our followers here on the blog. How long will it take for me to reach my fitness goal? And boy can it be a challenge to answer. Here’s why.
Factors That Affect You Reaching Your Fitness Goal
- Where you are starting from
- How much time you are able to commit to working on your goal
- How your body reacts to the changes you are making – we’re all unique so we can’t be 100% sure how you will react to any particular change
- How many obstacles life throws at you
- Any injuries or setbacks you might experience along the way
- How realistic your fitness goal is to start with
Going Too Hard, Too Fast
When you’re first starting out, and you’re highly motivated, it’s really easy to go bull-at-a-gate to try to reach your fitness goal faster. It’s totally understandable. I’ve been there myself and still struggle with it sometimes. If I just do a bit more now, I will get there faster. It makes sense.
However, the trouble with going too hard, too fast is that you can very quickly get overwhelmed and burnt out. If you don’t give your body (and your mind) time to get used to the changes you are making, it can very quickly and easily all get a bit too much. (For more info about setting realistic goals check out an article I wrote a little while back: Avoiding Overwhelm with Realistic Goal Setting)
What You SHOULD Be Focusing On
- Taking frequent small, manageable steps toward your fitness goal – ongoing progress is far better than rushing to complete a goal too quickly and then struggling to keep up the momentum
- Ensuring your goals are always realistic and you remain flexible with goal dates if required
- Not beating yourself up if it takes a little longer than you first anticipated
If you’re feeling a bit unsure about your fitness goals or how long they might take to reach, make sure you pop on over to our Facebook page for a chat.